The natural next step in this project was to add remote control. I decided to build it all from scratch, even semi-designing my own radio protocol.
As mentioned in my last post, i wanted to equip my tank with a spinning turret.
I like cardboard, hot glue and tanks. I guess it was only a matter of time before this happened.
My main reason for automating my room was to make it easier to get up in the morning. Here is my wakeup system in a working, but not very sleek form.
It consists of the following modules:
- A Nexa remote controlled power switch pack for the lights.
- A roller blind motor + control panel with RF receiver and a AVR ATMEGA 168 microcontroller.
- A Raspberry PI with a Creative N400 USB speaker and a 433MHz RF transmitter+receiver.
Cloak and mask
The hooded cloak was made out of a 2m x x1,5m piece of black cloth. I sewed a “narrowing” part around the neck, and then added the hood after cutting that out and sewing it together. I used a combination of textile glue, needle/thread and black gaffa tape. I used a couple of guides like this as inspiration, as well as instructions from the hobby shop where i bought the cloth. To close the cloak in the front i used a safety pin with a metal skull hot glued onto it.
The mask was a premade mask i got from the hobby shop. I painted it by hand with silver and black acrylic paint, as well as cut a few holes to breath through.